Monday, February 17, 2014

Welcome to Guyana. Where the laws are made up, and the street lines don't matter!

So where do I begin...
On the 10th we woke up in the MTC at about 215 to catch our bus to the airport! We had about ten hours on a plane and finally landed in Trinidad at about 10 where the mission president met us. We traveled to the apartment where we'd stay for a few nights... that's the picture with the pool and the view. We woke up the next morning and went to the mission home for a day of welcomes and the mission president telling us how much he loved us!
It was a good day! Then we left Trinidad Wednesday morning. and flew to GUYANA.
My area is called Rosignal Guyana. It's hot, the people are nice, and I can't understand a word anyone says.

They said I would be serving an English speaking mission, but this sure isn't English. They speak so much slang and say it all so fast I can barely follow it... it's completely frustrating and wearing me down emotionally and physically... I almost dread going anywhere where people are because I seriously can't understand anything they say...
Every morning I wake up wanting to leave but I just tell myself to make it till dinner and then you can call him, but by that time I feel much better because I've had the spirit with me all day. It's a weird feeling... But I'm definitely not in Utah anymore...
We have three investigators with baptismal dates, but the thing is, that no one stays a member after they get baptized. My trainer has already had 11 baptisms, and seen 4 of them go inactive. But that's okay! It's up to them to stay in the church, we just get them here.
I don't like Guyanese food very much yet, it makes my stomach hurt, but I'm hoping I get used to it.... 

Other than that, we just walk around a lot and spread the word! Today being our first P-day we went and played basketball with other missionaries in our District which was a lot of fun!
Oh! fun fact, they only allow Elder's in Guyana because of how dangerous it is... Just kind of funny, because sometimes I wish they wouldn't let anyone in. I'm so white....
The area is great! It's really small with not a whole lot of members, only like 50. But it has a history of a lot more than that.... Everyone here lives in huts or houses on stilts, it's definitely a different experience than if I were to go state side!
Lately we've just been focusing a lot on less active members, because usually Guyanese people just get baptized and never come back, so President Mehr really wants us to focus a lot of our attention on less active members, but we still get plenty of people talking to us on the streets as we walk around, we end up contacting plenty of people without even really trying...
Church was weird. Like I said before, I can't understand a single thing anyone says, so I really just sat there for 3 hours staring off into space, really bad of me but I have no way of deciphering this language... The branch is small, maybe like 20 regulars, but this week we had about 50 come for sacrament meeting. We don't have a chapel, we meet in this building, I can't really explain it, it's pretty small...

Shopping is weird, because there's just a lot of stuff packed into the shelves, and everything costs a lot... because their money is worth so little... like 200 of their dollars is worth one of our dollars, kind of crazy.



Apartment I stayed in for a few days in Trinidad before we flew to Guyana.

No comments:

Post a Comment